The scientific name is Vitellaria Paradoxa (formerly Butyrospermum parkii) comes from the Kartie tree, also called the Shea tree. It can only be found in Africa. Over 2800 miles, the Shea tree expands from Eastern Ethiopia across to Senegal of the West.
Shea butter comes from the Shea kernel or seed (some state "nut") that are boiled. Once the oil floats to the surface, it is skimmed off. Shea kernels are cooled and crushed to extract, to what we know as, Shea butter.
Some health benefits of Shea butter.
- Shea butter helps increase circulation to the skin.
- Delays the aging process by combating free radicals.
- Keeps your skin blemish free and prevents and reduces acne.
- Helps in treating dryness caused by eczema and psoriasis.
- An excellent moisturizer, Shea butter can be used to treat diaper rash among infants.
Sources: bettersheabutter.com; natural-holistic-health.com